New Springfield Range Officer.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Huangxin, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Huangxin

Huangxin New Member

I recently purchased the Range officer. I was very impressed with how tight the slide and barrel were. It did not feel like a $725.00 1911. It was recommended to me from a trusted source. I broke it in with 200 rounds of Blazer hard ball and never had a FTF or any other issues. The one thing was the 5.1 pound trigger pull had to go. So I did a Brownell's shopping spree at my local gun shop. They recently had there main salesman gun smith arrested with over 13 felonies. Any ways I got to go through the goody box. All of the pistol salesman just sell guns. They do not do work or any touching of the inside of the gun.
    So I ended up replacing The MSH, Main Spring Housing spring and internal parts to get rid of the springer ILS system. they had the 1911 super match pull trigger pull kit 3.5 pull, that included the sear, disconecter, sear spring, titanium hammer strut, a new hammer all of the parts were made to be dropped in. The only fitting I did was filing the thumb safety so it would clear the sear. After the rebuild the pistol went from a 5.1 pound trigger pull to 3.5 pounds of trigger pull. I love this 1911. I can shoot any ammunition that I want to make and try to shoot. All of my other 1911 were for a special purpose where this is a gra=eat range gun for fun!!!
    I got a great price on the parts. The trigger pull kit sells for 145.00 I got all of the parts plus a spare pin set for the single price. This pistol shoots as smooth as my Baer 1911 Bullseye Wadcutter Pistol With
    Baer Optical Scope Mount that I use for my bulls eye league.. I cannot believe I got the pistol for $725. and the trigger kit and all of the spare pins and springs for $145. So I paid $870.00 plus tax. and it shoots 2 inch groups at 25 yards from the bench, At 50 feet shooting free hand I can keep it within 3 inch groups. The trigger pull really made the difference.
    So there is one more thing that I want to add to the Range Officer is to change the front sight to a fiber optic so I get a better contrast than the black on black.
    Thanks for any help.
    If you feel comfortable taking your range officer apart an changing out the parts and doing a little bit of filing on the thumb safety, I would highly recommend this modification. There are instruction in the package for how to do everything
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Bob
  2. Bender

Bender NRA Life Member Forum Supporter

Congrats,.........pics when you can!
  3. Huangxin

Huangxin New Member

Here are some photo's of my R.O.
    [​IMG]
    Here are the MIM parts that were swapped out to go from a 5.1 pound trigger pull to a 3.5 trigger pull
    This really made the pistol as smooth to shoot as my Les Baers. The best part it cost over $1000 less money than the L.B.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the gun in a mix with my other 1911's
    [​IMG]
    there it is in the center of the pile
    [​IMG]
    This was the best gun for the money I have ever purchased.
  4. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech... Moderator

Congrats! One of the best bang for the buck in SA's line up.
  5. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Member

Congrats...Glad you like it. I almost bought a r.o., but refused to pay $955.00 for it. For the price you paid I would have bought it. Have fun with it.
  6. Pro-One

Pro-One Active Member

Congrats, just a little tweeking and she's good to go-great score on the RO and mods:thumb: Just proves you don't have to spend thousands to make a 1911 run reliably.
  7. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Member

Very nice. I have looked at them, but I'm tapped out right now. Maybe in the future.
  8. Okie

Okie Member

Many congrats my friend:hail:
  9. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Forum Supporter

Nice grab! I'm pleasantly surprised how folks seem to like it compared to the guns costing "just a little bit more." :lol:

From what I'm reading, it's slowly becoming a recommendation for a top choice in the sub-$1000 range.

Andy
  10. LSglock89

LSglock89 Member

It was going to be the gun I bought...but then I went over the 1k mark...since it was "just a little bit more" and am going to get a DW Valor
  11. Huangxin

Huangxin New Member

I put in a Fiber Optic front sight on it Oh what a difference. I searched all over and the only place that had the fron sight was Amazon.com. I got it for $32.15.I never changed a front sight bt it is nit rocket sciance. I punched the roll in froom the insude of the lip that holds the Barrel bushing. and then using a non marring punch I punched out the old sigt. I had to fit the new fron sight by filing the bottom of the sight. I got it to go on by hand about 1/3 of the way. I used the non marring punch and centered the sight. I then took red LocTite and put it around the area where the HiVz sight went into the dove tail. After it had a chance to seep into the dove tail I took a Q-tip and removed therest of the locTite. I let it stand over night and then went and sighted it in an ran 200 rounds through the pistol to make sure that the sight would not move. At 25 yards I was shooting 2 to 2.5 inch groups from the bench. Then I shot about 150 rounds from a modified Weaver stance and covered the 3 inch dot with the green dot and t shot out the center of the target,s
    Here is what the sight looks like,
    [​IMG]
    Once I get the wilson Short trigger to fit my grip and I have better trigger control I will have areally good shootng 19911 for under $1000.00 where I paid almost 2K for the Les Baer and it does not shoot any better.
    The more I play with this 1911 the more I love it it is a keeper