Remsport frame and slide

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by kentucky_smith, Sep 14, 2011.

1. kentucky_smith

kentucky_smith Member

Remsport slide and frame bought from Numrich.
    Bought the frame on an impulse buy, much hilarity ensues:

[​IMG]

Had a couple of parts sitting in the 1911 box and decided I should use them. Wanted to build another 1911, this time a Government the way I want it. No front serrations, traditional, clean, simple, elegant. Remsport in Massachusetts reportedly builds frames and slides for quite a few 1911 makers ( I suspect Dan Wesson, Fusion, maybe some Ed Brown?) They also make Glock slides and barrels for Lonewolf. Regardless, Numrich has a listing on GB for a checkered blued government frame for a good price, thought I would try again.

Got the frame in to my ffl. Nice blue job. Started putting it together with a large Brownell's order, mostly Ed Brown stuff.

Installed the plunger tube with my handy dandy plunger tube tool. (Third time it's been used, woohoo).
    [​IMG]

Ed Brown beavertail drops right in. Fit is fine with me and looks better than anything Colt is putting out. Had to file just a little on the lug to get it to stop/release the trigger.
    [​IMG]

Trigger and mainspring housing is something I found in a box, will probably order a 10-8 square trigger when I can sneak a few more things past the wife. Hammer is a Wilson value line, thumb safety is Ed Brown and took a bit of fitting to clear the sear, hammer, disconnector correclty.

Had to dress the Ed Brown extended mag release a little bit to allow the mag to be slammed in, release properly. Didn't take much filing.
    Got the slide in today. No where close to even starting to fit. Was planning on having it finished when I was done but the blue is so nice I think I'm in good shape there. Had to be really careful not to scratch it though.

[​IMG]

Magically fit. (Note, a chainsaw file and a Dremel were not involved in the fitting of the frame to the slide, I swear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barrel is an old Colt 7791193 which were some repair barrels for a military marksmanship unit to use in their 1911s with a tight-fitted bushing. Anyway, it's unused and chrome-lined, so I thought I would use it. If it is unsatisfactory I may get a Kart or Ed Brown and put in it.
    [​IMG]
  2. kentucky_smith

kentucky_smith Member

Turned out so nice, I broke out the good grips. These are elkhorn stag made by Patrick Grashorn. The semi-smooth grips in between the checkered front and msh feel really good. Patrick was quick to answer any questions I had, sent pictures of what he had made up, offered to make some more to what I wanted and shipped them from Colorado on the same day I ordered them. A true class act.
    [​IMG]

http://grashornsgunworks.com/

[​IMG]
    Funny, the brown bluing isn't noticeable in life, only shows up in these pics.
    [​IMG]
    A little bevel around the mag well.
    [​IMG]

Tight frame fit in the back, didn't file down the extractor to fit flush either.

[​IMG]

Front strap checkering is pretty nice. Originally wanted the trigger guard undercut, but it doesn't bother me this way.
    [​IMG]
    Everything checks out, safeties all work, the Ed Brown extractor got just a little bit of tweaking. Barrel is locking up correctly and the hood fits nice and snug. Frame and slide run smooth together, I have an 18# Wolff spring in there. Still waiting on sights and a 38 Super firing pin from Fusion. Going to run the same Champion sights that are on my bobtail and the Dan Wesson uses on most of their guns. Purloined a .38 Super firing pin out of another gun. Will shoot it tomorrow without sights and see how she does.

Total cost

$193––-Frame
    $143––slide
    $230––Brownell's small parts.
    $58–– Fusion white dot sights

Grand total==$624. I'm not counting the barrel, slide release and msh I already had, nor the grips. I also saved a good chunk by not having to have it finished. The Remsport stuff is good stuff and I highly recommend them. I've ordered directly from John before. They don't have website, but googling remsport will bring up a forum that he's a member of and a way to contact him. I helped a friend of mine build a stainless bobtail last year and we ordered the frame, slide and barrel already fit directly from them.

Video from Sunday's inauguaral shoot: no sights and wrong-handed.

[video=youtube;6A7O7Csaj9E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A7O7Csaj9E[/video]

Last night I fit a set of Champion Novak clones and call it completed. Will try to run 50 rounds through it in the next night or so. :biggrin1:
  3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech... Moderator

congrats on the build. Looks awesome!
  4. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Forum Supporter

Looks like it's on its way! Looking forward to seeing how you break it in. :thumb:

Andy
  5. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Member

Be honest you were nervous when you first pulled the trigger :grin: congrats looks good.
  6. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Forum Supporter

Good job. Someday I might get the balls to build my own.
  7. knedrgr

:pound: I know I was when I had pulled the trigger on my build.
  8. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Member

I have a feeling if I ever build one, I'll let a "friend" have the honors of pulling the trigger first.
  9. kentucky_smith

kentucky_smith Member

Little bit. You can see it on video! I'll get pics tonight with sights installed.
  10. limbkiller

limbkiller Enjoying Life!

Congrats on a great thread and great build. Looks wonderful. I wish I had the cajones to try that. My hats off to you.
  11. jericho76

jericho76 New Member

Does Remsport have a website?Tried finding one , but to no avail.Emailed them about prices for their goods, but no response.Nice looking project you have there.
  12. knedrgr

No website.

Phone John: (413) 579-1994
  13. jericho76

jericho76 New Member

Thanks.
  14. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Rattlecan Picasso Sponsor

15. RMA

RMA Member

Looks good. Wish I had the talent in gunsmithing...lol. You rarely see any Remsport builds anywhere or at least I don't that is. Here is mine but built by Ron Phillips himself when he was in between Wilson & Nighthawk.
    http://[​IMG]
  16. kentucky_smith

kentucky_smith Member

[video=youtube;LSv8hIOP6yY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSv8hIOP6yY[/video]
    Left hand with cheap ball

Right hand with 250gr Red Dot reloads (.45 Colt loads/bullets I had left over from a Colt SAA i no longer have). Love the smell of Red Dot. :D

[video=youtube;EpCgUs-hC6k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpCgUs-hC6k[/video]
  17. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Nicely done. John is a great guy and Remsport is a great low(er) cost alternative to get one the way you want.
  18. matthew03

matthew03 New Member

Nice looking build, I'm envious you can do that.
  19. kentucky_smith

kentucky_smith Member

New blaster!

[​IMG]

no wait, different kind of blaster, fresh out of the oven, baer frame, remsport slide, used an STI beavertail this time, don't like it at all. Every part on that baer frame needed a file put to it. Trigger had to be cut WAY down top and bottom to get it to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a big fan of Cerakote now. Stuff goes on great and wears much better than duracoat.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  20. Bender

Bender NRA Life Member Forum Supporter

Holy cow,........you've got talent!